Pumpkin Cabbage Soup

Cabbage or not to cabbage?  Cabbage is one of the few vegetables that I actually like...coleslaw, cabbage stir fry, egg rolls (you did know there was cabbage in there right)...and cabbage soup...you know, the cabbage soup diet!!! 

What are some of the health benefits of cabbage? Cabbage has been known: to provide digestion support, as an inflammation stabilizer, support heart health, vitamin K, cholesterol reducer, improve digestion, and lower blood pressure...to name a few.  And so today, I chose to share with you, my cabbage soup recipe.  

Not sure why I was in the mood for soup, but there you have it...soup it is!  Soup is one of those comfort foods that can be eaten in the summer, winter, or when you are sick or dieting...any time really...there's a soup for what ails ya!

At home, my mom made this awesome chicken soup (and she taught me how to also) and I absolutely loved it. As a matter of fact, it's one of the meals I ask her to prepare for me when I go home for a visit...after all, there's nothing better than mom's cooking, right? When we made this recipe, it included chicken and dumplings...not the chicken and dumplings common to the South, but chicken pieces (wings, drumsticks, etc) dumplings...guess they are the same...yet not...I'll show you what I mean later.  In light of my WW journey, I went to Pinterest to see what I could find...and lo and behold...Cabbage Soup kept poppin' up, so cabbage soup it is.  When I looked at the basic recipe ingredients, I realized it was the same soup we made at home, only stripped of the dumplings and chicken.  So here's what you'll need to make this recipe...and BEST of ALL, for you Purple WW folks, it's only 2 smartpoints.


Ingredients:
 

1 medium head of cabbage (chopped)
3 carrots
2 celery stalks
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 medium onion
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can pumpkin puree (NOT the pumpkin pie mix)
32oz Chicken broth
2 cups of water
Salt
Pepper
Bay leaf
Thyme



I chose not to cook on the Stovetop, but rather in the Pampered Chef Quick Cooker. By the way, you can always order a quick cooker from me...did I forget to tell you that I was a Pampered Chef consultant?😉




Preparation

1. Chop all vegetables into small pieces 
2. Set the quick cooker on the sear setting, add olive oil and heat.
3. Add the onions sautee till softened, then add the carrots, celery, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper.  Add garlic last
3.  Now set the quick cooker to "soup" setting and add the pumpkin puree, tomatoes, chicken, broth, water.  Cover and let cook...my soup setting was 30 minutes, but I could have shut it off at the 15 - 20-minute mark.

Comments

Popular Posts